Dana Scott Owens
3211 Eichenlaub Street
San Diego, California 92117 518.925.4900 DANATOON@DANATOONSTUDIOS.COM
Illustrator | Graphic Designer | Commercial Freelance Artist
Highly creative, multi-talented and versatile Illustrator/Graphic Designer with extensive experience in multimedia, marketing and print design. Exceptional collaborative and interpersonal skills; dynamic team player with well-developed written and verbal communication abilities. Highly skilled in client and vendor relations; talented at building and maintaining “win-win” partnerships. Passionate and inventive creator of innovative marketing strategies and networking. Accustomed to performing in deadline-driven environments with an emphasis on working within budget requirements. I wish to apply my skills – as an artist, designer, illustrator and problem-solver – to promote the identity and messages of any organization.
• Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere)
• Video/photo production, retouching, editing, animation, motion graphics
• Book design, layout, pitch deck design
• Versatile design styles and mediums
• Able to mimic illustration styles and adhere to brand guidelines
• eLearning Authoring Software (Articulate Storyline, Articulate RISE, Evolve) • Microsoft Office, Macintosh OS, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google Drive, Mavenlink
• Client-based design/conveying vision
• Event design and coordination, art show curating, even layout planning
• Digitizing layouts, UI design, knowledge of HTML/CSS
• Campaign proposal development and delivery
• Screen printing process/design for multilayer prints
• Art procurement coaching/(Interior) design consulting
• Mural painting, Bar/Restaurant decor
• Sign fabrication/installation, art handling and installation
SeaPort Village | A 14 acre waterfront shopping, dining and entertainment complex recreating a harbor side setting, Downtown San Diego; (Nov 2018) Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Consultant
• Designed and Illustrated imagery for SeaPort Village Map
• Created content adhering to client branding guidelines and designed vector illustrations. Company website: https://www.seaportvillage.com/general-information
ELM (eLearning Mind) | Leading Creative eLearning Development Firm, San Diego; (Jan. 2018-Oct. 2018) - Jr. Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Animator
• Designed and edited imagery for eLearning modules.
• Created content adhering to client branding guidelines and replicate pre-designed vector illustrations.
• Ability to build elearning mods and animations from storyboards and scripts.
• Assisted with illustrations and corporate web icons on projects for numerous clients including Google, Facebook, Twitter, ESPN, SiriusXM, Ralph Lauren, Godiva, Qualcomm, PetCo, MillerCoors, Sony. Company website:
ENDEAVOR | Commercial Real Estate Development Firm, San Diego; (Aug. 2017-Jan. 2018) - Worked as a Graphic/Web Designer
• Designed property pitch decks including graphics and property illustration/photography.
• Created and packaged promotional material i.e. Property Videos, Motion Graphics, Social Media content.
• Painted numerous public engaging murals on and off property.
• Coordinated and organized events for promotional purposes.
• Wrote press releases and giant mailers and announcements for properties and events. Company website:
Promoventures Inc. | Branding & Screen-printing Company, San Diego; (Jan. 2017-Aug. 2017)
• Created and prepared mock-ups and proofs for print production.
• Designed for T-Shirt Screen Printing and Embroidery including color separation according to client branding guidelines.
• Designed imagery and motion graphics for marketing and social media campaigns.
• Organized client content files for quick reference. Company website:
All the Ups Inc. | CEO & Co-Founder/Designer, Albany, NY; (2016-present) - All the Ups is a mobile, event-information app with urban scavenger hunt and controlled digital marketing features.
• Business planning and development (with co-founder Rick Spratt)
• Designed layout for web application, graphics and icons.
• Created marketing campaigns, managed networking and public outreach initiatives.
• Arranged to meet with several angel investors and public funding organizations.
• Currently still in development. Company website:
The Machine a Creative CoOp | Founder/Artist, Albany NY; (June 2013 – May 2016) Collaborative art studio used by artists and musicians for creation, exhibition, and performance.
• Commercial art space for graphic design and screen printing.
• Business and local-community leadership initiatives.
• Arts community collaboration planning.
• Event planning (including SUNY Albany sponsored events).
• Organized art workshops and art coaching classes.
• Assisted with the promotion and advancement of aspiring artists in the community.
Content Creator/Illustrator | Smallbany WebComic (2007 - Present) Facebook user-submitted WebComic/Blog highlighting the NYS Capital Region’s unique characteristics. Smallbany has been featured on WNYT News Channel 13, WNYT News Channel 10, and in various publications and blogs. It went viral on Facebook – 40,000 views – “Ghetto Chopper T-Shirt.”
• Illustrated “Smallbanytoons” based off follower suggestions.
• Created promotional and marketing material.
• Organized many public events which lead to several news appearances and articles.
Freelance | Illustrator, Mural Artist, & Graphic Designer 2002 – Present Samples can be viewed on portfolio/website: www.DanaToonStudios.com
• “I’m Perfectly Nermal” - Various illustrations, book cover designs, marketing material - 2017 - Available thru Amazon Publishing
• “Yiddische Yoga: Oysanas for Every Generation” - Illustrations, book cover designs, marketing material, website design; Ben Yehuda Press 2016; available in various northeast bookstores including the National Jewish Museum bookstore NYC.
• Albany Times Union/518 Life Magazine “Holiday edition” - Several holiday illustrations selected to be featured in the magazine, 2014
• Knickerbocker Ledger; Various illustrations including webcomic "Smallbany"), 2010
• 2009 NY Thoroughbred Breeders Magazine (illustrations accompanying articles), 2003-2005
• Crystal Springs Publishing, Illustrated Read with your Smartie, 2002
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
• Featured Artist Selected for Vacant Store Art Pop-Up Shop Pacific Beach, December, 2018
• Featured News Story; “Zevely’s Place” 10 News San Diego, 2018
• Featured Article; San Diego Mural, ThereSanDiego.com, 2017
• Artist Showcase Article, The SPOT 518 Newspaper, 2017
• “2nd Best Illustrator in Capital Region”, The ALT-Newspaper, Albany NY 2016
• Yiddische Yoga mentions, Saratogian Newspaper, Hadassah Magazine, World Jewish News, Jewish Museum Bookstore (NYC), 2016
• "Best Arts Ambassador in the Capital Region", Metroland, 2015
• Exhibition, NYS Assembly Member Pat Fahy, 2014
• Machine CoOp Article & Front Page Picture, Metroland, 2014
• Machine CoOp, SUNY Alumni 30 under 30 Article, SUNY Alumni Magazine, Albany NY,
• 2014 Historical Foundation BUILT Exhibition, Several Art Pieces/SmallbanyToons exhibited, 2013/2014/2015/2016/17
• News Channel 13 WNYT interview, Machine CoOp, 2014
• Knickerbocker Film Festival, Best Documentary, "Smallbany", 2013 • News Channel 13 WNYT interview, "Smallbany”,
• 2013 Knickerbocker Ledger, 30 under 30 Award, 2012
• Crest Fest Art Show, Several Window Paintings exhibited, Brooklyn, NY, 2012
MURALS AND OTHER FREELANCE WORK
• Several San Diego Commissioned Murals; Pacific Beach, North Park, Mission Beach
• Commissioned mural, School of Rock, Loudonville, NY, 2017 • Filmed, produced & edited music video to promote Troy Holiday Flea Market and the musician, Ragliacci Clown Musician, 2016.
• Redesigned and fabricated hanging Tap-Room sign, Beer Diviner, Troy, NY, 2016
• Art sold, Built (triptych), Albany Historical Society fundraiser, for corporate boardroom installation
• Commissioned to illustrate radio DJs for B95.5/Cat 103.5FM Radio for a coloring contest, Albany, NY 2016
• Commissioned to create/paint giant Bernie Sanders Rally banner, Washington Ave Armory, NY, 2016 (got to meet Senator Sanders)
• Commissioned mural in Esperantos Pizza, Saratoga Springs, NY 2016
• Designed Photo Op backdrop for Albany Barn’s annual fundraiser “FUSION” ; NY 2015
• Designed Wall of Honor Sign, Albany Mayor’s office, NY 2015
• Commissioned mural,Cafe Hollywood restaurant bar, Albany, NY, 2015
• Commissioned mural, stairwell walls, Newberry Music Venue/Comedy Works, Saratoga Springs, NY, 2014
• Commissioned to Design/Fabricate Planned Parenthood Giraffe Award for Recipient HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm’s Susie Essman, 2014
• Live painting, Albany Barn Annual Fundraiser Fusion Event, 2014; featured artist in residence on marketing materials.
• Commissioned Saratoga paintings,
Tommy Nicchi, Saratoga, NY, 2014
• Commissioned to fabricate Albany City Seal for stage, Mayor Kathy Sheehan inauguration, Albany, NY, 2014
• Commissioned to design logo and fabricate large Plexiglas office-front emblem, Relentless Awareness Public Relations, Albany, NY, 2011
• Commissioned to illustrate Children’s Learning Guide
(Crystal Springs Publications) for Donna Whyte, Teaching Consultant,
Saratoga Springs, NY, 2002
• Bachelors in Fine Arts; New York State University of Albany; 2010-2013
• Associates in Illustration; Sage College of Albany; 2003-2006
• Regents Diploma concentration in ART; Ballston Spa High School; 1999-2003
• Greg Kozera, VP of Creative Learning Experience, Elm Learning, San Diego, CA. (619) 871-8843
• Danny Fitzgerald, CEO ENDEAVOR, Real Estate Broker, San Diego, CA, (858) 663-4576
• Tommy Nicchi, Owner/Operator Comedy Works, Inc.- Saratoga Springs (518) 365-7685 • Joe Bonilla, CEO for Relentless Awareness Public Relations Firm- Albany (518) 221-1377 • Larry Davis, CEO COMMSOFT Software Development Firm (518) 720-3701
• Rhonda Rosenheck, Owner, RE: WORK Editing/Author, Yiddische Yoga (917) 656-4835
• Kristen Holler, Director of the Albany Barn (518) 344-8414
• Michael Nahal, Senior Software Engineer, (845) 377-5021
• Sean Allison, Assistant Chef, Capital City Gastro Pub, (631) 944-0042
• Rick Spratt, NYS Judiciary Data IT, (518) 281-8241
• Mic DiBellis, Professional Screen Printer, (610) 704-5952
• Audrey Bell, Credit Consultant, (201) 637-9001
Link to portfolio: